• November 8Welcome to our new online newspaper for Alonso High School in Tampa, Florida!

• November 8Have a story idea? Let us know and drop a comment.

Record Cold Weather

Weather in Tampa is colder than Usual

Freshman+Gabriela+Vargas+is+bundled+up+for+the+cold.++Hillsborough+county+sent+out+text+alerts+to+students+and+parents+reminding+them+to+dress+warm.+
Freshman Gabriela Vargas is bundled up for the cold.  Hillsborough county sent out text alerts to students and parents reminding them to dress warm.

Freshman Gabriela Vargas is bundled up for the cold. Hillsborough county sent out text alerts to students and parents reminding them to dress warm.

Erika Higgins

Tampa has been experiencing record cold temperatures from a cold front, some temperatures being as low as mid-thirties. Freezing temperature is 32 degrees, meaning that if it happened to rain sometime in the early morning, it could possibly snow, even just a little. Last time it snowed in Tampa Bay was January 19th, 1977, and it isn’t very unlikely for it to happen again.

The record cold temperatures have “caused pipes to burst in Tampa, damaged crops and resulted in an avalanche of social media posts touting the cold”, according to the TBO weather report published on January 19th, 2018, and it has also caused a lot of our Ravens here to freeze their butts off. Sabrin Abdella, a freshman at Alonso, had a very positive opinion on the cold weather: “I think the cold weather is refreshing since we don’t get much of it, but it’s also dreadful because not a lot of Floridians know how to act.” What she said next basically summed it up: “It’s too cold to do anything.”

Another freshman at Alonso showed up to school on Thursday at 7:15 a.m., but thought the bell already rang, because according to her, “there’s like nobody here.” The attendance has been a lot lower because most people aren’t used to the cold weather and think it’s way too cold to go to school. Some people have been saying instead of having a “snow day,” we need a “it’s-too-cold-to-function” day.